Friday, April 1, 2011

Latest News 4/1/11

Do You Hear How Many You Are? for SATB choir has been selected as the winner of the Ars Nova Singers 2011 Colorado Composers Competition Professional Category.  The work will be premiered by the ensemble on their June 3rd concert at 7:30pm at St. John's Episcopal Church in Boulder, CO and then in a repeat performance at 7:30pm on June 4th in Hamilton Hall, University of Denver, Denver, CO.

On March 25 and 26, as part of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the College Music Society 2011 Regional Conference, I performed my Five Preludes for solo piano at the Ramada Denver Midtown Hotel.  Also as part of the conference, I presented my paper The Paradox of Choice, The Myth of Growth, and the Future of Music.

During April 8-9, I will be travelling with others from the University of Colorado-Boulder Composition Department to the Exchange of Midwestern Collegiate Composers in Kansas City along with the composition departments from the University of Iowa and the University of Kansas City-Missouri.  At the exchange, I will again be performing my own Five Preludes for solo piano as well as presenting my paper The Paradox of Choice, The Myth of Growth, and the Future of Music.

On April 13 at 7:30pm, my new Piano Quintet "New England" will be premiered on the CU Pendulum New Music Series on the campus of the University of Colorado-Boulder.  It will be played by the Tesla String Quartet with myself at the piano.

On April 23 at 2:30pm (notice this is a different date and time than in my previous latest news) The Playground Ensemble will be performing my Sonata No. 1 for Violin and Piano on their annual Colorado Composers Concert at the King Center on the Auraria Campus in Denver, CO.

On May 13 at 7pm, the Encore Wind Ensemble will be performing my Waltzing Dervish for Wind (powered) Ensemble as the winner of the Charles B. Olson Young Composers Contest at the Wayzata Community Church in Wayzata, MN.

Recordings of Waltzing Dervish for Wind (powered) Ensemble performed by the University of Colorado Wind Symphony from the premiere performance on February 4, 2011, as well as the premiere of A Day of Sunshine for Chorus and Orchestra performed by the Longfellow Chorus and Orchestra in February 2010, are now available for streaming online.  "Waltzing Dervish" can be heard here and "A Day of Sunshine" here.

A video of the premiere performance of Two Symmetries for Disklavier from February 23, 2011 is also available for viewing here.

Also of note, I will be graduating with my Masters of Music in Composition from the University of Colorado-Boulder on May 5!

No comments: