Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Latest News 7/27/10

Waltzing Dervish for Wind (powered) Ensemble has won the Charles B. Olson Young Composers Contest from the Encore Wind Ensemble.  The work will be performed at Wayzata Community Church in Wayzata, Minnesota, on Friday, May 13, 2011 at 7:00pm by the Encore Wind Ensemble.

My short chamber orchestra work Carousel has won 2nd prize in the Eighth annual Asia America Symphony Association Composition for Orchestra Competition.

Upcoming performances in the next year include the premiere of For Sofia for Viola and Piano by Sofia von Atzingen, which will be premiered on December 1st at her Graduation Recital this year at the Federal University of Minas Gerias in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.  My Five Preludes for piano have been selected for performance at the Society of Composers 2010 Region V Conference at Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois in early October, 2010, where I will perform the work myself.  Viderunt Omnes for a cappella SATB choir has been selected for the Society of Composers 2010 National Conference at The University of South Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina.  It will be performed by the University of South Carolina Concert Choir on November 11th, 2010 at 7:30pm in the Green St. United Methodist Church.
I recently was selected as one of three composers to be featured in the No Extra Notes podcast's 4th "Composer Takeover" by Richard Zarou.  I have been given 15 minutes of podcast space to do whatever I want to present myself and my music and have fun doing so.  The podcast will be available on the website on September 5th, 2010 and downloadable on itunes.

A reminder that on August 4th at 6pm e.s.t, the recording of the first complete performance of my Piano Sonata No. 2 (performed by myself) will be broadcast on WRSU in New Brunswick, NJ which can be heard locally at 88.7 FM and anywhere with an internet connection at http://www.wrsu.org/ on the show "Endless Possibilities: Explorations" by Douglas Laustsen. It will then be available as a free podcast downloadable on itunes (Endless Possibilities » Podcast By Douglas Laustsen).

No comments: